Country : Germany
Organization : Ecologic Institute
ResearchGate profile : https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Tanja_Srebotnjak2
Dr. Tanja Srebotnjak
Dr. Tanja Srebotnjak is a Senior Associate at Ecologic Institute. She headed the Institute’s office in San Mateo, California, until 2014 Trained as both an environmental statistician and a biostatistician, she worked primarily on statistical methods and concepts for developing indicators to assess environmental performance, benchmarking sustainability objectives, measuring disparities in access to healthcare, forecasting healthcare needs, and small area estimation of health risks and outcomes. A native speaker of German, she is fluent in English and has the United Nations certificate of proficiency in Russian.
Dr. Tanja Srebotnjak joined Ecologic Institute in 2009 as a Konrad von Moltke (link is external) Fellow. She routinely applied her statistical and analytical skills to help answer a broad range of public policy questions. Relevant projects included the measurement of anthropogenic environmental pressures at national and EU levels, the characterization and measurement of sustainable communities, the identification and management of ecological threshold phenomena, the role of local and regional authorities in the successful implementation of the Europe 2020 Strategy, including rural-urban energy systems, and the evaluation of climate change targets and associated policies.
In addition, she conducted research on small area estimation of environmental and behavioral health risk factors, system-level health disparities in the US (link is external), and human migration across ecosystems linked to climate change. She expanded her work into energy and resource efficiency.
Recent and ongoing projects included:
- Coordinator and Editor-in-Chief for the Indicators for a Sustainable San Mateo County Report in 2013-2015 in partnership with Sustainable San Mateo County
- Evaluation of the World Health Organization (link is external) (WHO) Environmental Burden of Disease Method in the context of Germany for the Federal Environment Agency (link is external) (UBA), 2012-2014
- A Framework Service contract on Environment, Climate Change, Energy and Space Policy with the European Union's (EU) Committee of the Regions (link is external) (CoR), 2012-2013
- A Framework Contract on the Implementation of the Europe 2020 Strategy for the EU Committee of the Regions (link is external), 2011-2013
- Further development of the Composite Index on Environmental Pressures for the EU Directorate-General Environment (link is external), 2011-2012
- Publications on EU Sustainable Development Indicators for the Rio+20 Summit in June 2012 for Eurostat (link is external)
Prior to joining Ecologic Institute, Dr. Tanja Srebotnjak was a postdoctoral fellow at the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (link is external) and the Daniel J. Evans School of Public Affairs (link is external) at the University of Washington in Seattle. She completed her PhD in environmental statistics and policy in 2007 at the Yale School of Forestry and Environmental Studies and her MSc in statistics (2001) at the University of Auckland and Dortmund Technical University while holding a scholarship from the German National Academic Foundation (link is external). Noteworthy in relation to her stay at Yale University is the Environmental Performance Measurement (link is external) Project at the Yale Center for Environmental Law and Policy (link is external), which she directed from 2003 to 2006 and which publishes the Environmental Sustainability Index and the Environmental Performance Index (link is external). From 2000 until 2003, Dr. Tanja Srebotnjak was a statistician in the United Nations Statistics Division (link is external) in New York.